Answers to your top MOC questions

April 10, 2019 | Author: Royal College Staff

Our Royal College Services Centre tracks your questions on the MOC Program. Lately, there have been many questions on teaching, fellowships and how to properly interpret the prompts in MAINPORT ePortfolio. Here are answers to some of your popular questions.

Where can I report my teaching?

The time you spend supervising, delivering talks and/or teaching doesn’t count for credits in the MOC Program. This is because that time is a transfer of your own knowledge. However, you can claim the learning you did during your research and preparation for these activities under Section 2: Personal Learning Project (two credits per hour).

Bonus! If you receive feedback on these activities, you can claim the time you spend reviewing and reflecting on that feedback under Section 3: Feedback on teaching (three credits per hour).

I’m trying to record my fellowship. I thought it would be 100 credits per year (as shown on the MOC Program Framework) but the activity template in MAINPORT shows 25 credits. What do I do?

A fellowship program is seen as equivalent to four courses per year. As a result, you can record it in 25 quarterly credit segments up to a maximum of 100 credits per year under Section 2: Fellowships. You can only earn credits for the portion of the fellowship you complete after the start date of your current MOC cycle. You may, therefore, claim these quarterly segments as per the example below.

One course each ending on

  • March 31,
  • June 30,
  • September 30, and
  • December 31.

I participated in a six-hour course but when I submit the entry under Section 2: Formal Course, it comes up as 25 credits. How can I revise it?

Section 2: Formal Courses recognizes courses that have usually been developed with a university, college, specialty or other educational organization. These courses occur over a period of time (usually not less than six weeks or equivalent to one term at a university). Formal courses require a formal registration process. They must also provide a transcript or certificate of completion. This type of course often leads to a formal designation or certificate. Examples of formal courses are fellowships, formal certificate programs, and Masters or PhD programs.

If your course was completed over a short period, it may qualify for credits under Section 1: Accredited Conferences.

On the MAINPORT dashboard, what is the difference between “total credits submitted” and “total credits applied”?

“Total credits submitted” are all of the credits you record during the course of your cycle. In contrast, “total credits applied” are those that have been added to your current cycle. These totals may differ. For example, if you exceed the limit of 50 credits per cycle for the unaccredited group learning activities under Section 1, only the maximum of 50 would be applied.

I tried to report my participation at an accredited Self-Assessment Program (SAP). It came up on the drop-down menu in MAINPORT, but the dates beside it are in the past. Can I still record my participation for this year?

For an online SAP to qualify for Section 3 credits, a Royal College Accredited CPD Provider must review and approve it for a set time frame. You’ll know the SAP is approved if it contains the Royal College accreditation statement. Some of the programs listed in MAINPORT did not get approval and accreditation for the current year. Check the latest selection of accredited self-assessment programs in MAINPORT with specific dates. If your SAP does not qualify for the given year/time frame, you may choose to develop this activity as a personal learning project under Section 2.

Have more questions?

Contact the Royal College Services Centre. You can also check out our Maintenance of Certification Program’s FAQs.