A Major Step Forward For the Profession
CanMEDS, Canada’s renowned physician competency framework was introduced 25 years ago. Since that time, it has been applied in postgraduate medical education programs, residency training, and professional learning and development — both in Canada and around the world. I’m very proud of the stewardship role the Royal College has played, over these many years, in supporting and sponsoring this framework. CanMEDS is a collective resource — and we recognize the roles medical schools, faculties and individuals have had in its success. CanMEDS has been shaped by the insights, convictions and confidence of literally hundreds of faculty, physicians, Fellows, educators, regulators, students, residents and staff. Now, those enduring contributions are being formally acknowledged through a new partnership to share stewardship of this national treasure.
We recently united with 12 Canadian health care organizations to form the CanMEDS Consortium. This collaboration will promote one, cross-Canada approach to physician training and evaluation — from family physicians to a range of specialists — through a common set of values and competencies (i.e. the CanMEDS Framework). What’s more, the consortium will be facilitating the adoption of CanMEDS across the continuum of medical education and practice: from undergraduate studies to continuing professional development.
A single physician competency framework for all of Canada, at all stages of one’s career — it’s an unprecedented collaboration and a major step forward for the profession.
We believe this united and consistent approach will
- lead to greater efficiencies in training;
- enable medical regulatory authorities to use the same benchmarks for their evaluations and complaints processes; and
- ultimately, result in better patient care.
As with any change, implementation will be an ongoing process. In the coming years, members of the consortium will begin to embed the CanMEDS Framework into their business models. We’ll meet regularly to review progress, and to share successes/learnings.
I encourage you to find out more by visiting www.royalcollege.ca/canmeds.
I hope you share in my enthusiasm for this new partnership, which will make CanMEDS truly Canadian.
Andrew Padmos, BA, MD, FRCPC, FACP
Chief Executive Officer
Presenting the members of the CanMEDS Consortium:
CanMEDS serves all patients and populations. Consortium partners are committed to embedding CanMEDS in their procedures and practices, supporting CanMEDS development and dissemination, and ensuring its ongoing relevance and value.
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada
- The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada
- The Canadian Federation of Medical Students
- The Canadian Medical Association
- The Canadian Medical Protective Association
- The Canadian Patient Safety Institute
- The Collège des médecins du Québec
- The Fédération médicale étudiante du Québec
- The Federation of Medical Regulatory Authorities of Canada
- The Fédération des médecins résidents du Québec
- The Medical Council of Canada
- The Resident Doctors of Canada